10 – Salt Lake City, UT: Unified Through Listening, Caring and Understanding with Jewel Cummings – In Search of the Great America
- 10 – Salt Lake City, UT: Unified Through Listening, Caring and Understanding with Jewel Cummings
- 6.2 – Denver, CO History: Diverse, Progressive and Forward-Thinking Leadership
- 7.2 – Cheyenne, WY History: Powered by the Rapid Development of the Cattle Industry
- 8.2 – Lander, WY History: A Successful Shift from Extractive Industry to Ecotourism
- 9.2 – Cedar City, UT History: How the Community Came Together and Saved the Town
Hello! I am your host, Laura Milkins.
And I am going In Search of the Great America.
This project is a weekly podcast asking people to define their Great America: past, present and future. My original plan was to travel to the largest city and a small town in each state and interview people along the way. Due to COVID19, I am now embarking on a virtual road trip and doing the interviews virtually.
Despite these changes, I still plan to follow my original route and get to know this country through these cities and towns. I want to discover what makes each place special. There will be a one minute video of each city or town to show some of the highlights of living there. Also, my resident historian, Tom Prezelski, is writing the history of each location based on when it was “great.” This could be an exciting economic boom time, a calm, peaceful moment in its history or a time when the town came together to solve a problem.
Based on these stories, I will interview someone from the community that represents one of the groups or organizations that played a role in that history. Each interview is 15 minutes and my guest will discuss their vision of a Great America outside of politics and policies. I hope to discover the diversity, complexity, and community connections that already make us great.
So… What’s your Great America?